Wednesday, December 10, 2014

JUST....wow!

Reading through my blogs this morning and I came across Mile Posts aka Dorothy Beal's

It could not have come a better time. I am so guilty of this. I call myself a beginner runner because I know there are so many people that can run faster and farther than I can. I constantly compare my abilities to others. In her post she asks what a long distance is for us and for me, right now, running 10K's is my challenge. I have run 2 or 3 registered 10K's and just over 6 miles around the small town I live in so I know I can do it but they are still challenging for me. 

I have also been bad about comparing my average mile times to others instead of focusing on the fact that I am completing the mileage I set out to do. I am not a fast runner.....in comparison to the people I consider fast. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I am sure some folks consider me fast. 

I am trying to focus on being consistent and more positive when it comes to my runs so that I will not get frustrated and give up for weeks at a time. I know if I had a running buddy that would help however I just can't seem to find anyone that has a similar schedule as mine to be able to that. 

Thanks Dorothy for the post! It was definitely the motivation that I needed to know that any mileage I get in is better than nothing and it still makes me a "runner". 

My first 10K for 2015 is January 3 and I am part of a two member team relaying the American Bank Half Marathon in Corpus Christi. My second 10K race is at the Cowtown Marathon at the end of February. I know I can complete the mileage however the challenge I know I will face is the weather. I am not used to running in cold temps. I live in a small south Texas town where the high tomorrow will be 71!

Dorothy if you ever make your way to South Texas I would love to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment